Friday, September 20, 2013

Multicultural Education as a Process

I have been taking into account the ideas of the course and the readings and discussions about multicultural education and how important it is for all students because of the impact it has on their learning and their social and cultural well-being. After reading Transforming myself to Transform my Classroom (2001) by Paul Gorski, I have a much better understanding of how to go about a multicultural transformation in schools.

Gorski brings up a strong argument that teachers and educators will easily agree to discussion on curriculum changes and cultural diversity appearing. He brings up that the resistance that is occurring is about self-change or self-transformation. I found one of the most interesting part of the article is when he is talking about the process and how the most difficult, and essentially, the scariest part, was realizing or knowing that he had prejudices or biases even when he didn't want to have them because he had considered himself a tolerant liberal man.

This article ties in well to what we are reading and discussing with the class because Gorski creates a list of the "Ten Critical and Self-critical Things I Can Do to Be a Better Multicultural Educator". His list includes reflecting on reactions to people and events, recognizing social identity, understanding the relationship between intent and impact, and many other ways that changing yourself will better your teaching as a multicultural teacher.


http://www.edchange.org/multicultural/papers/edchange_10things.html

No comments:

Post a Comment